Fall 2013, MATH 411, Ordinary Differential Equations
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: 1:00-2:15pm, 132 Electrical Eng East
- Instructor: Toan T. Nguyen
- Office: 238 McAllister
- Phone: (814) 863-4123
- Office hours: Mondays 1:20-2:20pm and Thursdays 9:00-10:00am (NEW time)
- W. Kelley and A. Peterson, The Theory of Differential Equations: Classical and Qualitative, Second Edition, Springer, 2010.
Purpose of the Course: This is a course on the modern, qualitative theory of ordinary differential equations. There will be three main parts to be covered in the class.
- Linear systems of differential equations (Chapters 1 & 2).
- Nonlinear autonomous systems in the plane (Chapter 3).
- Topics on self-adjoint second-order differential equations (Chapter 5).
Grading policy: The final grade will be based on
- Weekly homework: 30%
- In-class Midterm 1: 20% on Thursday, October 3rd
- In-class Midterm 2: 20% on Thursday, November 7th
- Final exam: 30% during the week of December 16-20. Exact date: TBA
Homework: Homework will be collected weekly at the end of Thursday classes, with exception of two Thursdays during which the in-class midterms will be taken place. There will be 12 HW assignments. Late homework will not be accepted.
Academic Integrity: All Penn State Policies regarding ethics and honorable behavior apply to this course; for details, see: http://www.psu.edu/ufs/policies/
Students with disabilities: Penn State welcomes students with disabilities into the University's educational programs. Every Penn State campus has an office for students with disabilities. The Office for Disability Services (ODS) Web site provides contact information for every Penn State campus: http://equity.psu.edu/ods/dcl. For further information, please visit the Office for Disability Services Web site: http://equity.psu.edu/ods.